Thursday, December 16, 2010

Love is alive.


[[This morning I woke up with a heavy heart for so many people I know who are going through a tough time this Christmas holiday...]]

I guess living in the OBU “bubble” for so long had numbed me to the fact that there are people out there who truly ache during the holiday months. 

While I was at OBU, I was so focused on what I had to do to make it to Christmas break in one piece.  I was focused on studying for that one final for that one class that I absolutely loathed. I was focused on making my own Christmas list filled with the latest and greatest. I was focused on figuring out how I was going to fit ALL my stuff in my tiny little Honda. I was focused on getting home to my home so I could sleep in my warm bed. 

I was focused 100% on myself.  

Going into my first Christmas outside of the “bubble” has been an eye opener. So many people are hurting during these weeks coming up to Christmas and I can’t help but be affected by it and realize that not everything is about ME. 

Jesus said, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Jesus is the ultimate comforter.
He gives peace to the weary. He meets you exactly where you are in life.  
He is the ultimate definition and symbol of LOVE.

Sara Bareilles has a song that came out last Christmas called “Winter Song”. In the chorus she sings the line “Is love alive?” over and over again. 

I have come into contact with so many people who feel that love isn’t alive this Christmas. They feel like just because the calendar says it’s December and the radio songs sing words about being “filled with glee”, and how its “the most wonderful time of the year”…their heart ultimately tells them differently.  

Sometimes situations come our way and we forget that God is love. He loves us in a way that we cant even comprehend. He laid down his OWN life so that we, sinful man, could live in the presence of a Holy God and have our sins forgiven. Jesus gives us REDEMPTION. 

He took on ALL the burdens of this world…every last one of them.

So if your feeling like love isn’t alive this Christmas just remember that whatever situation your going through- God gets it. He understands. He wants to be your comforter and the one stable thing in your life that wont fail you.

So to answer Sara Bareilles question….Yes. Love is very much alive.....


His name is Jesus Christ

1 comment:

  1. I'm right there with ya sister... working at the church this year has made me realize just how many people out there don't even have the money to get their kids gifts, much less provide them a nice Christmas dinner. It makes you stop and realize that there is a bigger world out there and that we have a much bigger God. Bigger than our own problems. Bigger than anyone else's problems! Great post :) very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete